Our Curriculum has been designed to ensure each and every child can ' live life in all its fullness' by offering stimulating and awe-inspiring learning experiences with Christian values at its heart.
It is bespoke to the needs of the pupils at Wistanstow not only by focussing on appropriate subject specific knowledge, skills and understanding as set out in the National Curriculum, but by modelling the virtues given to us by Christ and by developing individual and collaborative learning experiences, a positive growth mind set, a sense of responsibility and challenges that take them beyond the classroom.
We are a small and semi-rural school with a constantly evolving curriculum which responds to the needs of learners and their interests by enhancing learning experiences and raising awareness from the local area to national and global arenas. Thus, we will develop outward looking pupils who are able to engage in learning about themselves and have an understanding of the wider world and its complex cultures.
Ultimately our curriculum is intended to:
- Develop our head and body : What we learn
- Develop our hearts and character: Who we are
- Develop our actions and attitudes: How we live and learn
- Develop our moral compass: Where we fit in the world.
Through quality teaching of knowledge, skills and vocabulary across core and foundation subjects, all children will be challenged to be inquisitive, compassionate, courageous and creative learners. They will have opportunities to influence their own learning through age appropriate and progressive themes and topics. Effective learning characteristics including being ambitious, reflective and imaginative will drive teaching and learning.
Our children will have a confident set of skills, knowledge and Christian values which can be used to get ahead in education and life more generally. In short they will learn more, remember more, enjoy more and develop more spiritually, socially and emotionally. Thus enabling them to be ready for their next stage in education.
What does your child learn at school each day? Find information about our curriculum subjects here. If you have any questions regarding the curriculum we teach please contact the school directly.
Literacy Progression Maps
- Title page
- Writing skills - Genre - Story
- Writing skills - Genre - Instructions
- Writing skills - Genre - Recount
- Writing skills - Genre - Persuasion
- Writing skills - Genre - Biography
- Writing skills - Genre - Letters
- Reading Skills - Explaining
- Reading Skills - Inference
- Reading Skills - Prediction
- Reading Skills - Retrieval
- Reading Skills - Summarise
- Reading Skills - Vocabulary
- Bug Club Phonics